Monday, January 5, 2009

Back to school

The Brimhall Building. Most of my classes will be here from now on.

Today was the first day of class. My schedule went something like this:

6:30
I wake up and do my daily routine. I'm out the door and on my way to the bus stop by 7:35. Even with my coat on, it feels like I'm inside an industrial refrigerator.

7:55
I drop by One Stop before work to rent a locker. Outside the room there are a few people sitting against the wall in a row.

7:56
I realize the row of sitting people is part of an enormous line of students waiting to storm the room when it opens at 8 a.m. Since most of them are wanting to add or drop classes, and not get a locker, I decide to get in line.

8:00
One Stop remains closed. The pregnant girl in front of me tells me she feels like she's going to pass out and asks if I'll save her spot in line so she can go sit down. I oblige her.

8:10
One Stop is finally open. Inside, I find that there are several stations set up to accommodate the add/drop people, but only one line for lockers.

8:40
I finally get my locker and head to work, where my boss is understanding and doesn't mind that I'm late.

11:00
My first class. There are about five girls for every guy in the room. One more good reason to be in the Comms program.


The Daily Universe newsroom: My new home away from home

12:00
Time for my first Daily Universe lab. We new 321ers meet our advisers, Kaye and Rich, and take a tour of the newsroom. It is everything I hoped and more. I talk to the editors at the Campus desk and they give me a press release about a salt irrigation study to work off of for my first story.

12:15
Rich walks by as I'm working on the story and I ask him about how writing at the Campus desk will affect my chances of getting a good internship or job (print majors are encouraged to write for the Metro desk, but you need a car, which I don't have). He says I need a good beat and puts me on the student government/clubs beat on the Campus desk. Then he gives me a really interesting story to write. I work on both of these for the next few hours.

3:00
My Research Methods for Journalism class. Our professor tells us he will give us 20 extra credit points for joining his Comms 308 group on Facebook and 5 extra points for adding him on Twitter (he's conducting a study). We also find out we will be attending a legislative hearing and a district court trial this semester. Sweet!

4:00
I leave the Brimhall Building for the first time in five hours and find myself in the middle of a snowstorm. Do not let the picture deceive you. There is no sun or grass to be found today. I slip and slide my way to the Joseph F. Smith Building for my persuasive writing class.

4:45
My persuasive writing class gets out early. I go back through the storm to the Brimhall, where I work on the salt irrigation article and wait to hear back from someone on the really interesting story.

5:15
I call it a day and walk home. I look like a snowman by the time I get back to my apartment. Home evening is cancelled because of the storm. I sit down to write a blog entry and do homework.

2 comments:

  1. Loved reading about your first day back at school. Sounds like it's going to be a busy, but good and interesting semester with lots of experience. Did you take the newsroom picture? It almost looks like it was taken with a fish-eye lense or something - kind of cool. I forget about you college kids having to brave the storm on foot! BBUURRRRR!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nope, I didn't take the pic of the newsroom. I found that one online somewhere. :P I think that photo must have been taken before the newsroom opened (this one's only a few years old) since there's no clutter. In this pic it looks like Martha Stewart's newsroom.

    ReplyDelete